Space Station 14 supports the usage of an existing shuttle and construction of new shuttles. This guide goes through how to construct a new shuttle. The construction workflow isn't yet easy, but it does work.
Starting a new grid
In order to make your shuttle Legally Distinct from the station itself, you need to first go out into space. Note that for new crew, this can be overwhelming and easy to die / get lost. Be sure to read about space navigation first. When in space, slowly move away from the station so that you start to float away (ideally, hold shift to move slower so you don't slingshot yourself), and then place lattice underfoot when you're ~3 tiles away or more. To construct a lattice, simply hold a metal rod in your hand and click an empty tile of space. If this new lattice has no gravity then congratulations, you have made a shuttle grid, and the least intuitive part is behind you. If you're wearing magboots (recommended), then you will need to turn these off to test that the lattice has no gravity.
Constructing your shuttle
With the lattice grid made, you're now free to expand it. Use metal rods to place additional lattices, and steel sheets to build plating atop the lattice. The metal plating acts as a floor and is safe for construction work and airtight.
Shuttles need a few things to work:
- A Generator. This will provide power to the shuttle and avoid having it run on battery. You can obtain this from salvage. Two generators are recommended for a shuttle with one console and two thrusters to avoid running out of power.
- A Substation. This will transform the HV power from the generator into MV power for APCs, emitters, and a few other things. You can obtain this from salvage.
- An APC. This will transform MV power into LV power for computers/etc, and can be constructed from the construction menu.
- Thrusters. You'll probably want at least two, one up front so you can go backwards, and one behind so you can go forwards. You can either buy this for cargo points or obtain it from salvage.
- Gyros. You'll need at least one, and it can be placed anywhere. Required for your shuttle to be able to spin like a record.
- A Shuttle Computer. You need this to actually drive the thing. You can obtain one from salvage, steal it from the arrival shuttle, or steal the one in the station's bridge.
- A Docking Airlock. Optional. This will allow you to dock with the station or other shuttles effectively. Make sure to construct them facing away from your shuttle towards where they will be docking. This is indicated by a small pip on the sprite.
Once everything is put in place and powered, you should have a working shuttle, congratulations.
Adding an Atmosphere
First you should obtain an oxygen and/or nitrogen tank from Cargo or Salvage. You may also want an empty air tank as well for air waste. You need two connector ports, one with your oxygen tank and the other with a waste tank. Connect these two with pumps, going out from the oxygen tank and into the waste tank. Then connect said pumps to vents around the shuttle with air vents. However, the rooms that you connect air to MUST be 8 tiles large. Add air scrubbers that connect to the waste tank as well. Now, you should have an atmosphere. However there is no way to add gravity to a shuttle as of now.
Piloting takes place at the shuttle computer. Refer to Cargo_Technician#Cargo_Shuttle_Console