Starting Your Shift
Salvage can be a fun job, and is accessible to everyone, even new players, as it's helps you get familiar with a lot of the game's Interactions. The Salvage Specialist page is always helpful to refer to, as it shows you the equipment available to you at the start of your shift. Equip your hardsuit,don your utility belt filled with tools, and slip on your Magboots, taking care of your internals as well. Note that on many stations, the tank that spawns with your equipment will not be filled with any air. It is recommended that you play a slime as they don't need air to breathe.
Next you'll want to make sure that a crate of steel sheets, and a bulk cable crate are ordered. Taking your time to also make a stack of metal rods, as these will allow you to get started on one of the most important parts of effective salvaging, a salvage platform.
The Salvage Platform
The purpose of the platform is to allow you to be closer to the salvage spawn, and to give you an area to land crates, and store them before you bring them into the station. Qualities of a good platform include:
- Is no more that 5 tiles away from the largest salvage map spawn.
- Is wide to account for any accidental drift or bad throws.
- Is well lit, and also lights some of the salvage map.
- Has a conveyor to transport crate quickly.
- Has a Disposal pipe to transport items/people quickly into and out of the station.
- Has an emitter attached to crack open botany and engineer closets. NOTE: It is against space law to have firearms if you aren't Security, so if you get caught opening firearm crates with this, you might be arrested.
- Has the Salvage Magnet outside, so that you don't have to re-enter the station to pull in more salvage.