As a Salvage Specialist, your job is to explore various wrecks from the space and retrieve any loot that you might find inside them. Use the Salvage Magnet to pull in a wreck for a limited amount of time and don't get killed by space carps or your own idiocy!
Salvage Specialist job might not be avalaible on smaller or older maps.
This console is used for pulling in salvage wrecks, which you can scavenge for extra loot. The salvage magnet will always pull in a wreck in a specific distance away from it, meaning that if the magnet is facing the wrong way or is installed too deep inside the station, then you won't be able to pull anything in.
The most crucial items in your job is the salvage hardsuit set, a breath mask and an oxygen tank - you will not survive in space without those (though you can try if you're brave). To make your job more efficient, you will also receive magnetic boots, a toolbelt with a myriad of tools, a pickaxe and a fire extinguisher. On some maps, you will also get a combat knife for fighting space entities.
How to use your equipment
In theory, going into space to pick up some items sounds like a cakewalk, but there are some dangers to that task. To efficiently do your job, you will need to know how to properly utilize the items you have received.
- Salvage hardsuit (suit and helmet): The obvious component. Put it on, or you will succumb to low pressure of space.
- Oxygen tank: To survive in space for longer than a minute, you will need an oxygen tank. Equip it in your hand or pocket to be able to properly use it with your breathing internals. Make sure to check if tank pressure is correct (the safe amount is 17-22). You can refill your oxygen tank by putting it inside a oxygen canister (just make sure to close it afterwards).
- Gas mask / breathing mask: To be able to receive precious oxygen from your oxygen tank, you will need to put a breathing mask on. Once you have it equipped, you should have an option to turn your internal ON. The button for this is situated on the left UI.
- Toolbelt (and tools) : Typically comes fully equipped with a screwdriver, welding tool, wrench, crowbar, multitool and wirecutters. Use those tools if you wish to retrieve anchored items or barge through obstacles like closed doors.
- Pickaxe : Sometimes, the salvage magnet might pull in a rocky asteroid. Use your pickaxe by repeatedly clicking on the rock to break through and reach for the stashed away goodies.
- Combat knife (unavailable on some maps): Use your handy knife to fight off any space carps that might come your way.
- Fire extinguisher :
Extinguish space firesFly through space by aiming and shooting the extinguisher's nozzle on the opposite direction of where you wish to fly. You can refill it with water once it runs dry.
- Magboots : Equip and turn on magnetic boots to gain a steady hold on wreck's surface. You might walk a bit slower, but at least you won't clumsily fly off into space so easily.
Tips and tricks
- If you run out of water in your fire extinguisher, try throwing some object in the opposite direction that you want to fly to. The momentum will usually quickly propel you onwards to where you wish to fly.
- You can find a spare small oxygen tank inside your survival box. You're also able to keep it in your pocket, leaving your hands unoccupied.
- Character with Slime chosen as their race aren't required to breathe in space.
- If you're running out of time and still want to take something, try grabbing it. Dragged items won't get despawned if the salvage disappears.
- Holding down Control, and Right-Clicking on a tile near you while pulling something let's you move it around while standing still. In zero-gravity, you can fling objects such as crates/gas tanks twords the station by timing your release with Q accurately. This is not hard to figure out but is kinda tricky to pull off consistently.